Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Homemade Glitter - Pinterest Find....and fail.




I adore glitter. I believe there is not enough sparkle in the world. If I were President...or (preferably) Queen of All Things--I would decree everything that isn't already sparkly to be covered with glitter. So, when I saw a Pinterest photo that claimed you can make homemade glitter out of salt...I was all over that!

To be honest, it does sound too good to be true. If we could make our own glitter so easy..why would it cost so much? But then again, lots of things are overpriced. So, I gave it a try. I took my salt, mixed in the liquid food coloring and baked it in the oven. I let it cool. I looked at it. I now have blue salt. It's pretty, but it's not glitter. I have now found several other people (via there blogs) who have tried this with the same results. DANG IT!! Oh wait -- My kids might think this is awesome, though...I could use this stuff instead of colored sand for those cute little sand sculptures in glass jars.

Final Results: When you mix food coloring and salt, then put it in the oven ---you get hot colored salt.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN!! I did the same thing.....stupid hot colored salt!

    ReplyDelete