Thursday, March 22, 2012

Vacation Bows


I decided to make my daughters some hair bows for our mini-vacation coming up, and since I like to show off share, I thought I'd post a very brief how-to. Ok, it's mostly just tips.  I have had years of experience in various areas of boutique bow making, most recently the bottle cap part. If you want any more tips about bottle caps, images, sealing, gluing, resins and all the other details--visit my other site: 


Also, I will not be posting any tutorials on how to physically make the bows--there are already a bazillion web sites out there that do that very well. This short 'how-to' is for those who already know how to make the bows, or are going to learn elsewhere.


Materials I used : Xyron Sticker maker (so much easier than glue), epoxy bubbles/discs (so much easier than resin), ribbon (make your own bows!), and smooshed bottle caps, and images. You'll also need glue to adhere the bottle caps to the bows.



The Xyron sticker maker is so much easier and less messy than fighting with glues. I do recommend the PERMANENT adhesive rolls for this type of project. Run the images through the machine, rub and apply to the bottle caps.

The pre-made epoxy bubbles (some people call them discs) are also easier and less messy than using the various forms of liquid resins. For this specific bow center, they work best--I am not adding anything else to the caps. I apply them adhesive side down, press firmly ..and my bow centers are done. 

Make your bows. There are a ton of tutorials out there for this, I suggest the videos if you're a beginner. Be sure to seal the ribbon ends by melting the edges!!! Fraying ribbons will ruin a good bow. 

Frayed on the left, sealed on the right. It only takes a second to seal them!


Assemble...glue the bottle cap to the center (I used a hot glue gun, it's my preference at the moment ha ha). They are ready for my girls to show off at the beach!


No comments:

Post a Comment