Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Book Review: Spirit of Lost Angels by Liza Perrat






Book Review 
Spirit of Lost Angels by Liza Perrat. 


Description: 
"Her mother executed for witchcraft, her father dead at the hand of a noble, Victoire Charpentier vows to rise above her impoverished peasant roots. Forced to leave her village of Lucie-sur-Vionne for domestic work in the capital, Victoire suffers gruesome abuse under the ancient régime of 18th century Paris...." 
"As Spirit of Lost Angels traces Victoire’s journey, it follows too, the journey of an angel talisman through generations of the Charpentier family. Victoire lives in the hope her angel pendant will one day renew the link with a special person in her life. 
Amidst the tumult of the French revolution drama, the women of Spirit of Lost Angels face tragedy and betrayal in a world where their gift can be their curse." (Amazon.com Book Page). 

Note: I have edited the description, however --if you read the full description on either Amazon or GoodReads (or anywhere), there are SPOILERS, so beware! 


 Book Review

I love these kinds of books, set back in a time I can only imagine. I like reading about a more simple time, although this book is far from simple! Spirit of Angels takes place in the 1700's, during the time of Marie Antoinette and her legendary...activities. But the book is not about her, instead it is about a young girl named Victoire and her very eventful life. I loved Victorie as a character from the very start; sweet, innocent and hopeful.....I knew it wouldn't last. *sigh* This poor girl literally endures every horror imaginable throughout this book. I wanted to hug her and hide her in my closet!! 

I had a hard time putting this book down, I just couldn't wait to see what happened next. Towards the middle of the book, a bit closer to the end--the book gets a bit more political, and kind of 'preachy', which I don't mind...but a little goes a long way. Aside from that, the book was awesome. The main characters had each their own personalities, some good...some not so nice, as in life.  It was interesting to see a character change and grow from childhood to adulthood based on her situations. Lot's of history and factual events to keep the book moving forward and still seem relevant when so many unbelievable things happen to our lovely Victoire. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys period pieces, romance and suspense, historical romance/historical drama. 

*sigh* ..I want a part two!!! 





Find this book at: 

Amazon.com: Spirit of Angels

and 






A note: This is not a book for kids! You really do follow Victoire through some adult situations, none of which are G-rated. 


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment