Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Book Review: Thirty Scary Tales by Rayne Hall





Thirty Scary Tales by Rayne Hall

"Thirty creepy, atmospheric horror stories by Rayne Hall. Please note: these stories have been previously published in magazines, e-zines and anthologies as well as in the Six Scary Tales collections. British English".


Book Review

I love a good scary story, and I adore horror movies like nobodies business. While I, personally, wouldn't refer to these stories as 'scary' (I have a high threshold for terror), they are certainly creepy, suspenseful and awesome! This is a collection of ..well...30 short  stories...(obviously), all of which have 'something' about them that make you go...Ohhhhh! or OMG! After each story, the author Rayne Hall, gives a brief note about the inspiration for the story--which adds to the spookyness of a couple of stories, by the way! 

There were several stories that stood to out to me, that I'd like to mention. Don't worry, I don't want to say much about it, I won't give away the endings for you all! The first was called "Each Stone, a Life". A clever story, reminded me of something that might happen in Game of Thrones! The final story in this book is called "Burning"...eep! There was also a story about a certain bird I also can't stand (begger birds, bah!), and a lovely little read called "Four Bony Hands". 

Overall the book is a great read. Short stories are handy for doctors appointments or those few moments while you're waiting for the laundry to finish drying. 

I let my daughter (Daughter S, age 13) read this, because the material is fairly PG rated (see note at bottom of page).  She hasn't gotten far, since school has started and she hasn't got more than 20% through it. So far, she likes it--but the stories...are too short! 



Thirty Scary Tales by Rayne Hall is available at the following locations: 








I will also be reviewing Rayne Hall's-Storm Dancer, soon! 




Note: I would consider this book very tame, though the author posted a PG13 cautionary rating. There are mentions of sex, and sexual content. There is also violence, but nothing horribly gory or grotesque. Please read before allowing your child to read this book. 


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment