Tuesday, March 13, 2012

DIY Glitter Flats (or heel...or whatever)

 If you pay attention to fashion (or if you watch commercials on TV), you may have noticed the growing trend in sparkly glittered shoes. The shoes, mostly heels and dress flats, are adorable and ...expensive. I found a pair of Jimmy Choo Walsh Glitter Ballerina Flats on the Neiman Marcus website for $425!! Don't believe me--click here! Ok, yes this example is on the extreme side, there are generic knock-off's available at Target and Sears (among others) ranging from $15 - $60. I'm a thrifty kinda gal...so I say BAH!! HUMBUG! If I can make it cheaper, and (even better) more the way I want it...then that's how it's gonna be!


 Last Halloween, my daughter was a witch...I bedazzled a black dress and made her some glittery black flats to match. The same glittery flats that are now "in style". I do not have  after photos, sadly, but I do have a before photo.


 Aren't those...special. I got them at a thrift store for 50 cents...what did you expect? So, I glittered them, and they looked great. The shoes are no longer with us, but they looked very similar to the ones shown in the photo below.







 This photo is from a DIY Tutorial from Vanilla Joy -found here.  Same theory, although I have some personal recommendations to add. 


 Firstly, I took a pair of ugly gold flats with a plastic decoration...It was sewn on, and easy to snip off and remove. Instead of painting them black with spray paint (which would chip and fade on the slick material over time), I used a Sharpie and hand-colored them. 


 I also used Martha Stewart glitter, which I adore...but that's a post for another time. I used the colors "Onyx", and "Hematite" for extra sparkle. There's a kit that would come in handy if using the same colors from Martha - (black is at the far right, and hematite is in the center).




 Once everything is all sparkly and shiny...and dry - seal it! This can be a tricky part, as many spray sealants will dilute the glitter's shine, and cause the glitter to look matte. I did not seal the shoes I made, and the glitter only lasted through 2 -3 uses. I may suggest Krylon's Clear Glaze (spray), however I am unsure of the results. 


That's all for now....I'll be adding many more crafty things soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment